Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting Started -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

reViSiT & VSTi's...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting StartedMessage format

namayake
Posted 2005-11-08 5:19 AM (#13209)
Subject: reViSiT & VSTi's...

New user

Hello, this is my first post here at nashNET.

I had one simple question: can revisit be used to control VSTi's as well as samples?

Thanks

Gabe
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chrisnash
Posted 2005-11-08 12:00 PM (#13210 - in reply to #13209)

Developer

Yes, sure you can!

Use the settings in the Instrument List -> Pitch/MIDI page to set up MIDI / VSTi connections. In some hosts (Cubase, Tracktion, energyXT, etc.), it's easiest to just use the "Send to VST Host" option - then you can route the MIDI messages to your desired device, be it MIDI or VSTi. In others, you'll have to use one of your system's MIDI device drivers (selectable from the list). To use the latter method to control VSTi's, you'll need to use a loopback driver, like LoopBe1, which reViSiT sends it's MIDI to and it relays to the host software. In any case, make sure the "MIDI Output" button is selected, to switch to MIDI instruments.

Hope this helps,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-03-24 2:27 PM (#13211 - in reply to #13210)

Expert

Hi! New here and perhaps I'll become a big-supporter if everything will work out!

Sofar, little succes tho, I can't figure out how to control other VSTi's from revisit. Since I'm a complete nincompoop with anything MIDI'ish (that includes all the apps like cubase/logic/cake/protools etc.) I'll describe visually what I see/have.

BTW, I did my bachelor-degree (4 directions, while 2 is normal!) with IT2-alone, no MIDI -stuff ever :P

more trivia: I emailed the volume-swing idea to Jeffrey Lim once :P

So, I'm testing revisit on a notebook with XP (and the infamous AC97 soundchip) running cubaseSX.

First the things that work:

- .IT loading and playing

- add a VSTi to the list of instruments

- get sound from the VSTi by playing the VSTi's own keyboard/triggerbuttons

Now, what doesn't work:

- control those VSTi's from revisit! I hear nothing! Not in the instrument-editor, not in the pattern-editor, not while playing.

What did I do:

In the instrumentscreen, 'Pitch/MIDI' tab, 'MIDI output' canvas:

[input]  <- light

[output] <- dark (I assume that means 'selected', from judging the NNA buttons)

[thru] <- light

And next to those the 4 midi parameters:

channel 01

program 000

LSB --

MSB --

Output device: 00 VST host

So, I dunno what's happening, but it's not much.. :P

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
chrisnash
Posted 2006-03-24 8:03 PM (#13212 - in reply to #13211)

Developer

Hi Maarten,

Okay, sounds like you're 90% there. You didn't mention which host you're using - and that's kind of important when you select "00: VST Host", as some hosts don't support VST MIDI communication.

If you've got a host that supports VST MIDI (EnergyXT, Tracktion, Steinberg products, and some others), your next step is to select "reViSiT" as the MIDI Input device for your VSTi (e.g. in Cubase, this is in the Channel Settings for the VSTi's track). If you want to use more than one, you'll have to specify the appropriate MIDI channel for the input as well. Unfortunately, all hosts do the whole MIDI routing thing differently, so I can't help you much without know what you're using.

If you haven't got a host that supports VST MIDI (Logic, Sonar, among others), all is not lost! You'll need to use a MIDI Loopback device, like LoopBe1 (Google for it). This is a virtual MIDI cable that you can setup to run out of reViSiT and into your host (as though reViSiT was an external device). After installing the driver (and restarting your host software), you'll see it in the MIDI "Output Device" list in reViSiT.

Hope this helps. If you need more help, let me know - but make sure you tell me what your host software is!

All the best,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-03-24 8:16 PM (#13213 - in reply to #13212)

Expert

cubase SX

* reads rest of reply now first :P

Musictechnology-bachelor degree in Composing, Producing, Sounddesign, Software - composer for film/tv/theatre/games/commercials - imdb registered - IT2 guru - MSX guru - sounddesign guru
CS_TBL
Posted 2006-03-24 8:44 PM (#13214 - in reply to #13213)

Expert

ok, I think I got it.. (SX3 btw) I had some kinda tree of VST instruments and both revisit and some synth were in there. I had to add a real midi track and drag/move the synth under that midi-track. ^_^

Time to experiment! Too bad there's 6 steps latency (6 steps at 120bpm)..

chrisnash
Posted 2006-03-24 10:51 PM (#13215 - in reply to #13214)

Developer

Latency, schmatency - www.asio4all.de. 2ms latency even on AC'97!

Use the MIDI Delay in Preferences to make the sync even tighter.

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-03-25 4:02 PM (#13216 - in reply to #13215)

Expert

Hi, major issues again :P

I have one instrument defined in revisit, which I set to output to midi channel 1.
In CubaseSX3 I setup 2 midi tracks, both having revisit as input, and 'Not Connected' as output. Both miditracks show a vu to monitor midi signals, point is: I'm playing some pattern with only 1 instrument (the one outputing to midi track 1), so both miditracks react on the same stuff! I had this last night already when I could only hear 1 VSTi playing all notes.. (when the VSTi is some drummachine, those errors are kinda obvious :P)
Apart from that, with no VSTi selected, I don't hear a thing, it wouldn't be much of a problem since I intend to use VSampler3 as main instrument (runs as external app), but VSampler3 gets nothing sent from Cubase or whoever.

*please* don't tell me each midi-channel should have its own revisit window, that defeats one of the basic points about tracking!

chrisnash
Posted 2006-03-25 7:25 PM (#13217 - in reply to #13216)

Developer

Hi Maarten,

This is one of Cubase's less well-documented features - the "chn" setting for the MIDI Track will set the output of the track to that channel, no matter what the input MIDI channel of the received message was. It doesn't filter anything.

To filter out messages from unwanted channels, use the "Input Transformer" (in 'Local' mode). Here's a screenshot of a patch that'll filter out everything except Channel 1. The important parts are highlighted.

Good luck!

Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-03-25 8:15 PM (#13218 - in reply to #13217)

Expert

okidoki, the filtering works.. now.. to get sound..

What's that nf_MID(..) thing you have after 'out:' ?

I only have 3 things I can choose there: 'Not connected', 'reViSiT' and 'M$ GS Wavetable-software'. Dunno if you know Vsampler3, but I bet I need to send out MIDI signals so VSampler can pick them up ..

chrisnash
Posted 2006-03-26 12:15 AM (#13219 - in reply to #13218)

Developer

nf_MidiMon is a VSTi which simply displays the incoming midi messages - a MIDI Monitor, largely used for debugging.

In the output list (along with "Not Connected", "MS Synth", etc), will be listed all the VSTi's you have loaded. Thus, in the same way you loaded reViSiT, you need to load VSampler. Then you can select it as an output for the MIDI track. It is likely that you will not even need to bother with the filtering step, as I think VSampler (if it is worth it's salt) will be able to interpret the data well enough, and route the MIDI channels to patches accordingly - just make sure the MIDI Track "chn" is set to "ANY".

Hope this helps,
Chris

CS_TBL
Posted 2006-03-26 1:03 PM (#13220 - in reply to #13219)

Expert

'kay, got it all sorted out and it seems revisit and some VSTi thingies, mainly VSampler, are going to be my new way of working since IT2! I might even go get some new PC orso!

I think you made my day!

..week, month,

year!

Expect user-reports, buggies and -lotsa- feature-requests soon ^_^

Major thanks!

ps. Would $ speed up feature additions, or in other words: can $ buy guaranteed priority features?

chrisnash
Posted 2006-05-29 2:35 PM (#13221 - in reply to #13220)

Developer

ps. Would $ speed up feature additions?

Yes.

can $ buy guaranteed priority features?

No.

Generally, I have to prioritise my time based on what earns the money (and keeps me alive). I can currently only pursue reViSiT in my spare time, as I am making little or no money from it. If that were to change, then the reViSiT project could compete for time with my more commercial endeavours. In any case, I am hoping that, once I release the Professional Edition, it will bring enough money in for me to justify spending more time on reViSiT.

Hope this answers your question,
Chris

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)