Forums supporting
reViSiT (http://revisit.info)
and MIVI (http://mivi.nashnet.co.uk)
nashNET Forums ->  reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting Started -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

easy question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   reViSiT - Tracking Software for VST hosts -> Getting StartedMessage format

sirimiki
Posted 2008-06-26 1:14 PM (#14270)
Subject: easy question

New user

hi, im user of cubase sx 3 but im still in love with the tracker style of my old fastracker, but im wondering if theres any possibilittie of load mp3 samples on it... it seems that i can load only wav..but 4 me it will be very usefull to charge mp3 files... it somebody going to implement this in a future?

Anyway.... this is a good VST and i have to congratulat MR NASH !!!

PEACE.
Bookmark and Share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-06-26 6:34 PM (#14272 - in reply to #14270)
Subject: Re: easy question

Expert

Realtime mp3 mixing would be a bit CPU-costly I think. Even if it would be possible, it'd be rendered to raw audio first I think, so in the end you'd gain nothing.. (tho, don't hold me on this )

Btw, why not use a conventional sample player VSTi instead?

And yes, reViSiT is a breath of fresh air, I think I would quite suffocate with out it.
chrisnash
Posted 2008-06-29 11:59 AM (#14273 - in reply to #14272)

Developer

Hi Sirimiki,

Welcome to the forum! Currently, reViSiT does not support the loading of MP3 files. However, such a feature will probably be added in the future.

Although, as CS_TBL points out, MP3 mixing is impractical; storing your sample collection as MP3 will save you significant disk space, even if it is decompressed to raw audio before use (assuming you can tolerate the loss of quality with MP3).

On the forum, we know CS_TBL to be a purveyor of fantastic orchestral pieces, where MP3 compression might present more quality problems than other sound genres. Beats and loops, however, are not only more tolerant of compression, but also benefit from reViSiT's beat-munging Oxx offset effect, which is not available from your average VSTi sample player.

Cheers,
Chris
CS_TBL
Posted 2008-06-30 4:41 PM (#14275 - in reply to #14273)

Expert

chrisnash - 2008-06-29 12:59 PM

storing your sample collection as MP3 will save you significant disk space, even if it is decompressed to raw audio before use (assuming you can tolerate the loss of quality with MP3).

Not so sure about that. It's common practice to have large lib on your harddisk so a softsampler can directly use those samples. If that lib was stored as mp3 and if it had thus to be converted to raw it'd have to happen each time after you load a song. Besides, I dunno about you, but unless one is into vast orchestral libraries, on a typical today's harddisks you can store your libs perfectly and even have space left for Diablo 3.. I mean, what's a common harddisk these days? 500GB? Many older sample libraries come on CD, the recent ones on DVD, just calculate how many samples you can store on the typical HD. I'd say, it's hardly worth the effort to store samples as MP3.

While I'm not sure, I think the OP was about something like mixing in a piece of music in mp3 format, rather than mp3 samples (individual notes from instruments).. tho I could be wrong.. :P
Posted 2008-07-02 10:02 AM (#14277 - in reply to #14270)
Subject: RE: easy question

Thank you very much 4 the replies!!! I have to tell that at the beggining my question was oriented to discover if mp3 mixing is going to be implemented in the future. Particulary im doing music with cubase sx 3 as i said, and the thing that i miss is to "sample" from music already composed, i mean comercial music, to discover nice atmosphers and pitch bend them, you can call me theaf or robber.... anyway, i would like to sample that rare music, like digging in the net looking for strange old music, and , as you can know, normaly those music you can find it in mp3 format and it will be very annoying to convert all my rare album if im not going to use more than 10 seconds on track nº 5 and 2 seconds on track nº 11..... I was using recently RENOISE, a standalone tracker that it works very good with this, but the thing that i get surprised whit revisit, is the point that it implements VST as a plug in and you can use Cubase as host. Now im a "cubase head" but i really miss the robustness and stability of the OLD tracker, like my dear Fasttracker II.

I repeat, thank you 4 replying!!!

hehehe

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)